I never thought I liked sloppy Joes growing up because I always associated sloppy Joes with Manwich, and I don’t like Manwich. But then, I went to an open house where they had sloppy Joes and they were AMAZING and my tune changed. Who knew they could taste so good!?
When my husband and I moved to Valparaiso, the administrative assistant at our church brought over dinner for us on our move-in day. She brought a slow cooker to our apartment with Sloppy Joe meat in it and some buns. It was so simple, but filling, and it meant SO MUCH to me! And they tasted SO good.
Yay for another easy dinner!
Four smart points per serving!
This meat mixture has the perfect amount of sweetness from the brown sugar and the consistency is perfect. Did you know that sloppy Joe meat tastes amazing even without a bun? Seriously. Try it. Put some on a lettuce leaf for a lettuce wrap, or just eat it with a spoon. The four smart points does not include a bun, but you might be surprised that you don’t need one.
You may have seen that we are doing a giveaway on a Comfort Food eCookbook this week on Meal Planning Mommies. I am sharing six of my favorite recipes from the eCookbook this week. Yesterday’s baked chicken nuggets recipe was also a four ingredient (not including salt and pepper), four smart point recipe! That is what I love about this eCookbook. . . all of the recipes are so simple and they are all Weight Watcher friendly!
Here is all you need for perfect sloppy Joes:
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup salsa
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Here is what you do:
1. Place the ground beef in a skillet or sauce pan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring often until the meat is browned and crumbled.
This makes 4 servings.
Each serving is 4 WW FreeStyle smart points.
Here are some of the special notes that came with this recipe…
Simple and delicious. The longer the mixture simmers, the better they are.
Serve on toasty sandwich flats or buns.
1. Substitute ground chicken, turkey or chicken/turkey sausage.
2. Vegetarian: Substitute cooked lentils or drained canned beans or vegetarian crumbles for the ground beef.
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Place the ground beef in a skillet or sauce pan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring often until the meat is browned and crumbled.
- Drain if necessary. Add the salsa, tomato sauce and brown sugar. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over toasty buns/sandwich flats of your choice.