Yay for keeping it simple!
I wanted to start the week with this recipe because is so super easy and chances are good you already have the handful of ingredients in your kitchen that you would need to make these.
When we did our survey about a month ago we asked what you were looking for when you come to Meal Planning Mommies. What we heard many of you saying was that you wanted quick and easy recipes. One MPM reader worded it this way: “I would like to see more simple, quick recipes for sports nights with kids.”
I totally hear you!
On a rushed, busy night the last thing I want to do is spend an hour trying to get dinner on the table. Nobody wants that. These chicken nuggets are an easy, healthy, and delicious alternative to fried nuggets or tenders from the drive-thru, and your kids are going to love them.
This is a “Comfort Food Favorite”.
I want to thank Simple Nourished Living’s, Martha McKinnon, for allowing us to share a handful of the recipes from her eCookbook this week! This baked chicken nugget recipe is one of the simple and delicious recipes you can find in her eCookbook, “Comfort Food Favorites“. If you missed our giveaway post earlier you’re going to want to hop over there for your chance to win your own copy of this eCookbook!
I am so excited to share some of the recipes we have been trying out in the Hughes home this week. You are going to love them all! On Saturday I will be sharing a meal plan that uses all of the recipes we have been show-casing throughout the week and the winner of the giveaway will be announced on Saturday as well. So much to look forward to!
Here is all you need to make these delicious nuggets:
1 lb. pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into even bite-size pieces (about 2 large breasts)
2 t. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
6 T. whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 T. Panko breadcrumbs
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
Here is what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray and set it aside. Or for easier cleanup, line the pan with foil and then coat the foil with spray.
(I used a freezer bag to coat the chicken. This is quicker and less messy since you don’t have to pick up each piece and coat each one individually. If you have a ziploc bag I would recommend doing that.)
Makes 4 servings.
One serving is 3 WW FreeStyle Smart Points
OH! And I almost forgot the best part! Clean-up is a cinch!
Yay! Thank you Martha! 🙂
With each recipe Martha adds some variation tips. Here is what she had to say about this recipe. . .
1. No Panko? Use all whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Crushed Rice Krispies or crushed Corn Flakes would also work.
2. Substitute mild white fish or shrimp for the chicken.
3. Zestier? Season chicken with light Italian dressing or Dijon mustard before coating with the breadcrumbs.
4. Spicy? Season chicken with a little hot sauce before coating with the breadcrumbs.
- 1 lb. pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into even bite-size pieces (about 2 large breasts)
- 2 t. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 T. whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 T. Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray and set it aside. Or for easier cleanup, line the pan with foil and then coat the foil with spray.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken pieces.
- In another bowl stir together the breadcrumbs, Panko crumbs and parmesan cheese until well mixed.
- Roll the pieces of chicken in the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then place them on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the top of the chicken with olive oil spray then bake 8 - 10 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook another 5 to 10 minutes, until cooked through.