After making beef tostadas for my family earlier this week I was left with some extra tostada shells and Mexican cheese. You too?
In an effort not to waste those ingredients I came up with this breakfast tostada recipe. It’s quick. It’s simple. It’s packed with protein. And it is just 6 WW smart points per serving. If you can eat Mexican inspired foods any time of day, like I can, then this breakfast is for you!
A breakfast that is quick and simple.
By using All Whites 100% Liquid Egg Whites there is no need to crack eggs with these breakfast tostadas. By using salsa, there is no need to chop up a bunch of veggies. By using the stovetop and microwave there is no need to heat up the oven. In all, this breakfast took me less than 10 minutes to measure everything out and prepare. Super simple.
These Querrero tostada shells are yummy, but you could use any tostada shells.
A breakfast that is packed with protein.
The best way to get going on your day and stay satisfied throughout the morning is to include plenty of fiber and protein in your breakfast. Between the black beans, cheese, and egg whites these breakfast tostadas will hold you over until your mid-morning snack, or lunch.
A breakfast that is just 6 Weight Watcher smart points per serving.
Cooked the way they are suggested below these tostadas are just 6 WW SP each, but here are a couple of variations you could try if you like:
- Bulk it up with some veggies. I tried to keep these simple with just a few ingredients, but you could add onions, green onions, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. to pack in more nutrients and flavor. Just chop and cook them in the butter before adding the egg whites to the pan. All of these zero point veggies will add more to the breakfast without adding any extra smart points per serving.
- Swap out the tostada shell with flour tortillas and turn it into a breakfast wrap instead. The egg/bean mixture with cheese is just 4 WW SP. If you are using a flour tortilla just add the number of SP for the tortilla to 4 and your will have the total smart points for your breakfast wrap.
- Add sour cream. Because fat-free sour cream is so low in smart points you can add 1-2 tablespoons to each tostada and it would still be just 6 WW SP per tostada. I ate mine without sour cream the first time I ate them and with it the second time and I thought they tasted great either way.
One last thing!
This recipe makes 4 servings. The egg/bean mixture reheats really well, so if you are just cooking for yourself you will have a super quick breakfast for four days! How great is that? Just reheat the egg mixture in the microwave for about 30 seconds and follow the rest of the steps. Easy peasy.
Here is all you need to make this smart breakfast choice:
1 Tbsp. butter
1 c. All Whites 100% Liquid egg whites
1/2 c. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. Salsa, divided
1/2 c. Reduced-fat Shredded Mexican cheese blend
4 Tostada shells
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fat-free sour cream, optional
Here is what you do:
Melt butter in a saute pan set to medium heat.
Add egg whites and allow to cook, scrambling as they cook. Salt and pepper, to taste.
Mix beans and 1/4 c. of the salsa into the eggs.
Put 1/3 cup of the egg/bean mixture onto each tostada shell. Top with 2 Tbsp. cheese on each and microwave each 15 seconds to melt the cheese a little bit.
Top with 1 Tbsp. salsa (or more) and 1-2 Tbsp. sour cream, if desired.
Makes 4 tostadas.
One tostada is 1 tostada shell, 1/3 c. egg/bean mixture, 2 tbsp. cheese, 1 tbsp. salsa, and 1-2 tbsp. sour cream (optional)
One tostada is 6 WW SP.
Pin now so you can get to it easy later…
- Serves: 4 tostadas
- Serving size: 1 tostada
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 4 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 543 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 18 g
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. All Whites 100% Liquid egg whites
- ½ c. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. Salsa, divided
- ½ c. Reduced-fat Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 Tostada shells
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Fat-free sour cream, optional
- Melt butter in a saute pan set to medium heat.
- Add egg whites and allow to cook, scrambling as they cook. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix in the beans and ¼ c. of the salsa into the eggs.
- Put ⅓ cup of the egg/bean mixture onto each tostada shell.
- Top with 2 Tbsp. cheese on each and microwave each 15 seconds to melt the cheese a little bit.
- Top each with 1 Tbsp. (or more) salsa 1-2 Tbsp. sour cream, if desired.
If you liked these you might also like these beef tostadas here.
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
*SmartPoints® calculated by Meal Planning Mommies; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated without Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.