I will never forget the first time I ate chicken Marsala.
I was having lunch at a fancy restaurant. Still being new to the job, it was my first lunch out with my new co-workers. I was excited to get to eat at a nice restaurant with my new friends. Then I saw the menu. There were lots of entrees I had never heard of. (gulp) As I sat there, thinking about how I could not pronounce half of the things on the menu, the chicken tenders on the kid’s meal started to sound pretty good.
Have you ever been in a situation like that?
I imagined myself whispering to the waiter, when no one was looking, “Excuse me sir, can the adults eat the chicken tenders too or is that just like a kid thing?” Instead I got brave and leaned over to person closest to me,
“Have you ever eaten here before?”
She said, “yes”.
“Okay, so what do you usually get?”
“Chicken Marsala,” was her answer.
I ordered it of course, and … It was AMAZING! I never had anything like it. After being giddy the rest of the day, I went home that night and raved to my husband about the amazing restaurant with the amazing chicken Marsala.
And that was the end of it… until…
Then, I found this great cookbook, “The Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook” and in it was a chicken Marsala recipe! I added, deleted, and altered amounts of a few things on the recipe and found a way to make a delicious chicken Marsala for just 6 Smart Points per serving!
Are you excited? I was/am! When I tasted it I just couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Here is what you need:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon fat-free Italian salad dressing
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
2/3 cup Marsala cooking wine, divided
1 pound sliced mushrooms
2 ounces angel hair pasta, broken in half
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
Here is what you do:
Cut chicken into 4 relatively similar size pieces. (Mine were all different sizes, but if you are counting points it will be easier if you 4-4 ounce pieces.) Each piece should be a similar thickness, so that all of the pieces cook thoroughly. Pound down the meat if a piece is a thicker piece.
Coat top and bottom of chicken pieces with Italian salad dressing.
Mix the flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Sprinkle dry ingredients over the chicken pieces. Flip chicken and sprinkle the other side.
Melt butter with oil in a large skillet pan.
Cook chicken in butter/oil for 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook the other side for an additional 4-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
Transfer chicken to a plate.
Slice mushrooms, if they are not already sliced.
Add mushrooms and 1/3 cup Marsala cooking wine to the pan and allow to cook two minutes.
Add remaining cooking wine, chicken bouillon cube, water, and pasta to the pan. Allow to cook 5-6 minutes, or until pasta is soft.
Plate four plates with 1/2 cup of the mushroom/pasta with 1/4 of the chicken (approximately 3 ounces cooked chicken).
Serving/Smart Point Info.
Makes 4 servings.
One serving is 1/2 cup of the mushroom/pasta with 1/4 of the chicken (approximately 3 ounces cooked chicken).
One serving is 6 WW Freestyle Smart Points.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: ½ c. mushroom/pasta & 3 oz. cooked chicken
- Calories: 457
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 739 mg
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 78 mg
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- ⅔ cup Marsala cooking wine, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 2 ounces angel hair pasta, broken in half
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Cut chicken into 4 relatively similar size pieces. They should be similar thickness, so that all of the pieces cook thoroughly. Pound down the meat if there is a thicker piece than the others.
- Coat top and bottom of chicken pieces with Italian salad dressing.
- Mix the flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Sprinkle dry ingredients over both sides of the chicken pieces.
- Melt butter with oil in a large skillet pan. Cook chicken in butter/oil for 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook the other side for an additional 4-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add mushrooms and ⅓ cup Marsala cooking wine to the pan and allow to cook two minutes.
- Add remaining cooking wine, chicken bouillon cube, water, and pasta to the pan. Allow to cook 5-6 minutes, or until pasta is soft.
- On four plates, put ½ cup of the mushroom/pasta with ¼ of the chicken (approximately 3 ounces cooked chicken).
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
*SmartPoints® calculated by Meal Planning Mommies; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated without Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.