Have you ever had a Beefy 5-Layer Burrito at Taco Bell? It’s a simple burrito with five main components. The five layers that Taco Bell packs into their Beefy 5-Layer Burritos are nacho cheese, seasoned ground beef, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and refried beans. Today’s recipe uses all of the same layers.
I talked a couple of days ago about my conversation with my son, Preston (pictured above), in which we discussed the foods he enjoys when we go out to eat. On his list was Panda Express Orange Chicken. (I shared my copycat Orange Chicken recipe with you the other day.) Another recipe on Preston’s list was Taco Bell’s Beefy 5-Layer Burritos. Of course, I will not be able to make a burrito that is exactly like Taco Bell’s (fillers and such), but this one comes pretty close, and my son thought these burritos were really good.
Smart Points for Salsa Con Queso
I thought it was worth mentioning that not all salsa con queso is the same in the WW app. I found where it said, “store-bought salsa con queso,” and I used that in the recipe builder, but if you plug in different brands, you may get different results.
Here are a few examples of salsa con queso that would keep the Smart Points per burrito down to 6 WW SP:
- Casa Mamita Salsa Con Queso, medium
- Tostitos Salsa Con Queso, medium
- On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Salsa Con Queso
- Newman’s Own Salsa Con Queso
Examples of Salsa Con Queso that are higher in points:
- Taco Bell Home Originals cheese dip salsa con queso (oddly enough)
- President’s Choice Salsa Con Queso
- Cheez Whiz Salsa Con Queso
- ChiChi’s Salsa Con Queso
Of course, you can use any brand of salsa con queso that you want, but if you are counting WW Smart Points, this little list may prove to be helpful.
Ways to change up these burritos.
I’ll be honest, everything in me wanted to add more stuff to these burritos. 🙂 I thought, “These would be so much better with tomatoes or salsa,” but I knew making this recipe had less to do with me and what I wanted and more to do with what my son wanted: something close to what he would get at Taco Bell. Having said that, there are a few ingredients I considered adding, if I was just cooking for myself. Here are just a few:
- Homemade salsa
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Black beans
- Grilled chicken (cooked in Mexican taco seasoning in place of the ground turkey)
- Steamed broccoli
- Various shredded cheeses
- Crushed tortilla chips/Doritos
You can make these however you like with whatever you like. It is a burrito after all. Here is what we did…
Here is what you need:
1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
3/4 cup water
1 (1 ounce) packet Taco Bell taco seasoning
6 Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb wraps, or other 1 WW SP tortillas
3/4 cup salsa con queso
1-1/3 cups canned fat-free refried beans
3/4 cup light sour cream
3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese
Here is what you do:
In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook ground turkey, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Once turkey is fully cooked, mix in water and taco seasoning. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Meanwhile, spread 2 tablespoons salsa con queso on each tortilla. Scoop and spread 1/3 cup refried beans down the middle of each tortilla.
Once the turkey mixture is cooked and seasoned, scoop 1/3 cup turkey mixture over the beans on each tortilla. Scoop and spread 2 tablespoons sour cream and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese over the meat.
Wrap up burritos.
Makes 6 burritos.
One burrito is 6 WW FreeStyle Smart Points.
- Serves: 6 burritos
- Serving size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 285
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 1024 mg
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) packet Taco Bell taco seasoning
- 6 Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb wraps, or other 1 WW SP tortillas
- ¾ cup salsa con queso
- 1-1/3 cups canned fat-free refried beans
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- ¾ cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook ground turkey, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Once turkey is fully cooked, mix in water and taco seasoning. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, spread 2 tablespoons salsa con queso on each tortilla. Scoop and spread ⅓ cup refried beans down the middle of each tortilla.
- Once the turkey mixture is cooked and seasoned, scoop ⅓ cup turkey mixture over the beans on each tortilla. Scoop and spread 2 tablespoons sour cream and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese over the meat.
- Wrap up burritos.
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
*SmartPoints® calculated by Meal Planning Mommies; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated without Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.