I can’t actually take credit for this recipe. My friend introduced me to these tasty Ranch and Veggie Pinwheels on our last camping trip.
Each summer, my family goes camping with a close group of friends from our church. This year, we decided to divide up some of the breakfasts, snacks, and dinners. One of the snacks that my friend made for us was these “pinwheels.” She took a mix of cream cheese and Ranch seasoning and spread it onto some spinach wraps. Then she piled on some spinach, bell pepper, broccoli slaw, and green onion. She wrapped them tight and cut them into slices. It was delicious and so easy!
I LOVED them so much I wanted to eat them all myself. Instead, I decided to be mature that day and share the pinwheels, and then recreate them at home when we got back, carefully measuring out the ingredients so I could share it with you today…
Measured out, veggie packed, full of flavor and vibrant color PINWHEELS…that is what brings us here today! 🙂
All of the colors of the rainbow…
You may have heard before that it is good to “eat the rainbow.” The idea is that different colors of fruits and vegetables offer unique nutritional benefits that are good for your health in different ways. By eating the whole rainbow, you can experience all of the many benefits each color fruit and vegetable provides.
You can read more specifics on what each color does for you at Nutrition Eats here.
This particular pinwheel recipe offers a beautifully wide range of colors (and nutrients), so it will look great on your plate and in your body! The vegetables used in these pinwheels will provide all of these health benefits and more:
- Fight diseases.
- Reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Reduce bad cholesterol.
- Help control diabetes.
- Prevent illnesses.
- Boost immune system.
- Improve the ability to learn and remember.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Great for your eyes, skin, and hair.
- Lots of antioxidants.
Here is where you are getting all these vibrant colors from…
Red: Bell Pepper
Yellow: Bell Pepper
Green: Spinach and Broccoli Slaw
Purple: Red Cabbage
Makes for a great snack, appetizer, or meal.
This recipe makes a lot: 42 pinwheels if you count the end pieces, and 30 if you don’t. Either way, one (1-inch sliced) pinwheel prepared as described in this recipe is 1 WW FreeStyle Smart Point. When I made these pinwheels at home, I actually made them for dinner. As a meal, I decided to eat the equivalent of one flatbread’s worth…so that was 7 slices for 7 WW SP, but these pinwheels would also make a great snack or appetizer.
Here is what you need:
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (1 ounce) packet dry Ranch dressing seasoning
6 Flat-Out Light Italian Herb flatbreads
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 (12 ounce) bag broccoli coleslaw
2 green onions, sliced
Here is what you do:
In a small bowl, mix cream cheese with Ranch seasoning.
Spread 2-1/2 tablespoons cream cheese mix evenly on each flatbread. Top each flatbread width-wise with a layer of spinach leaves, 6 slices of each bell pepper, 2/3 cup coleslaw, and a little green onion.
Tightly roll up the flatbread, pressing down on the flatbread slightly after it’s rolled to pack everything together. Cut each rolled flatbread into 7 (1-inch) pinwheels.
Makes 42 pinwheels.
One pinwheel is 1 WW FreeStyle Smart Point.
Rainbow Ranch and Veggie Pinwheels
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1 ounce packet dry Ranch dressing seasoning
- 6 Flat-Out Light Italian Herb flatbreads
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 12 ounce bag broccoli coleslaw
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese with Ranch seasoning.
- Mix cream cheese with Ranch seasoning packet for delicious flavorful pinwheels.
- Spread 2-1/2 tablespoons cream cheese mix evenly on each flatbread. Top each flatbread width-wise with a layer of spinach leaves, 6 slices of each bell pepper, 2/3 cup coleslaw, and a little green onion.
- Tightly roll up the flatbread, pressing down on the flatbread slightly after it's rolled to pack everything together. Cut each rolled flatbread into 7 (1-inch) pinwheels.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until you are ready to eat the pinwheels.
*SmartPoints® calculated by Meal Planning Mommies; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated without Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.