How many times have you bought chicken, not knowing what you were going to do with it yet, thinking, “Hmmm…I will come up with something…” Sometimes you just need a good recipe that uses chicken. Period. The next time you find yourself asking, “I bought chicken…now what?” you can come back to this simple slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwich recipe.
A Fix-It-And-Forget-It meal.
This recipe is a simple fix-it-and-forget-it meal that takes just a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening to prepare. And because it uses mostly common ingredients you probably have in your kitchen, the only real ingredient (besides chicken) that you will need to remember to grab at the store is the buns!
I love onions, so I added them, but you don’t have to. You could choose to leave them out and still have delicious BBQ chicken sandwiches that your whole family will love. In fact, if you do use onions, I would suggest not using more than 1/2 of a chopped onion so it is not overpowering.
More chicken recipes that are low in Smart Points.
I recently created a “Chicken Recipes with Smart Points” Pinterest board, where I share some of my favorite recipes that use chicken as a main ingredient.
Here are just a few of the recipes on the Pinterest board that I think you will love:
- 4-Ingredient Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1 WW SP Mexican Chicken Soup
- BBQ Bacon Monterey Chicken
- Grilled Pepper Jack Chicken with Zucchini & Corn Sauté
I hope some of these recipes will be helpful to you when you are in a pinch and need a quick chicken dinner idea!
If you are not familiar with light buns, I have a list of low point buns (light buns) here:
Alrighty, are you ready for some good old fashioned Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches?
Here is what you need:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
7 light hamburger buns
Here is what you do:
Mix ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and paprika in slow cooker.
Place chicken and onions in the slow cooker and mix in the sauce. Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.
Carefully take chicken out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker and mix in with the sauce mixture.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water. Mix the cornstarch mixture into the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker.
Turn slow cooker to HIGH heat, if it wasn’t already. Allow to cook 6-7 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
Scoop 1/3 cup shredded BBQ chicken on each bun.
Makes 7 sandwiches.
One sandwich is 4 WW SP.
- Serves: 7 sandwiches
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 442 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 7 light hamburger buns
- Mix ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and paprika in slow cooker.
- Place chicken and onions in the slow cooker and mix in the sauce. Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.
- Carefully take chicken out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker and mix in with the sauce mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water. Mix the cornstarch mixture into the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to HIGH heat, if it wasn't already. Allow to cook 6-7 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Scoop ⅓ cup shredded BBQ chicken on each bun.
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
*SmartPoints® calculated by Meal Planning Mommies; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated without Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.